A Comprehensive Guide to Getting Commercial Roofing Done Right
If you thought you could consider the same aspects for commercial roofing as you would for residential roofing, think again! Most commercial roofs are designed to be flat slopes, and there is a different set of materials that go into the making of commercial roofs. Given the flat roof design, the maintenance routine that these roofs call for can also be different. Designs, cost, installation process, and a variety of other factors also distinguish commercial roofs. We will give you an insight into the various things you should know about commercial roofing.
Types of commercial roofing solutions
While there are endless choices when it comes to choosing the kind of commercial roofing to use, the following are the most commonly used options. These are the ones that deliver a vast set of benefits that make them worth the expense in a commercial establishment.
- Single Ply membrane roofing
It is one of the most popular flat roof configurations in the market. There are flexible polymer sheets which form a part of the installation. Depending on the nuances of the installation, this can be of two main types – TPO and EPDM.
Thermoplastic polyolefin roofs are known mainly for their energy efficiency. It came as a good switch from PVC, as a greener solution. With these roofs, there is a TPO polymer layer that forms the base. On top of this comes the scrim layer made of a polyester reinforced fabric. Finally, there is the top ply layer known for its rugged performance. This is made of TPO compounded layer. Together these offer durable options for commercial complexes.
- The visibly light surface of the TPO roofs makes them better at reflecting sunlight. Therefore, these do not cause excess heating even on the warm summer afternoons. This brings down the cost of air conditioning, which increases massively during summers, mainly due to the heat retention of commercial roofs.
- Ease of installation makes this a suitable choice for use in tricky areas where conventional roofs can be hard to use. This ease of sue comes from the flexibility of the TPO sheets.
- TPO resists rusting and corrosion, keeping the sheet surface intact. This also makes them relatively low maintenance choices for large installations.
- One major feature that attracts many customers to this type of roofing is its affordable pricing. For the kind of features, it delivers this one makes a good value for money.
- This type of roofing can reliably withstand puncture and external damage than most other types.
- For businesses with a low upfront investment potential, this roofing system can be a suitable choice.
- Being a lightweight roof, it is suitable for places where structural strain should be minimum.
- When it comes to durability, this is not the best value roofing that money can get. Long life is not a trait of this type of roofing.
- Most TPO installation rolls come in small sizes. This makes it tedious to get multiple rolls to cover a large area.
- Not all the thick TPO roofs available in the market are of the same quality. It is also difficult to gauge the performance and longevity from the thickness.
- There is chemical bonding used between TPO sheets, which might not be the most dependable type of fusion in the long run. When the professionals use a terrible quality adhesion, then even the best TPO sheets might give in.
When it comes to choosing green options, EPDM is another popular choice. Ethylene propylene diene monomer (EPDM) sheets are of synthetic rubber. These appear darker than TPO sheets, which is one of the strongest distinguishing traits. These sheets come in different thickness options in standard sizes to pick from.
- Like TPO sheets, these are also of reasonable prices. Therefore, in the roofing for a large area, these sheets can help save money.
- Use of recyclable materials to make these sheets make them suitable choices for those who are looking for an eco-friendly solution in roofing.
- Like TPO sheets, these are again resilient to corrosion, and therefore they make low maintenance options. Another major plus is that there is no moss growth on these sheets, which brings down the efforts in cleaning.
- This material doesn’t crack or form blisters on exposure to extreme temperatures. It doesn’t, therefore, lose its appearance or become dull too soon.
- Installation can be complicated in the spots where the surface is not perfectly flat.
- It is not the most robust option in withstanding wear and tear. They can give in under impact when someone walks over the roof or drops something on the surface.
- Its dark color makes it poor at reflecting heat. Therefore, when you use this type of roof in a warm country, then there could be an added strain on the HVAC system.
Commercial Metal Roofing
This has been the go-to roofing solution in the commercial market for a long time. Given the long time for which these roofs have been in the picture, there has been a lot of evolution in terms of the designs. Aesthetically appealing metal roofs for commercial complexes are easy to come by. There are plenty of perks that make these roofs some of the most popular choices to date.
- In the strength department, there is hardly any other type of roof that can stand on par with a good metal roof. These can withstand bending and warping. Some of them are even firm enough and do not give in when people walk over the roof. Falling objects, therefore, do not damage the roofs that easily.
- These are some of the most durable options in roofing. Therefore, in a commercial establishment, these are roofs that make long term investments on the building with proper cleaning and quick repairs these roofs easily last decades.
- The choice of colors available makes it easy to pick a color depending on the climate of the region. Both light and dark colors are available in this range.
- These roofs are some excellent looking choices to add to any commercial building. There are several finishes available and paint colors as well. Bringing an old roof back to life takes just a simple step of adding a fresh coat of paint. This also gives the convenience of changing the color of the roofing sheets when you need to, to suit your tastes.
- Metal roofing systems are light in weight. Therefore, these are useful even in the areas where heavy reinforcements are not possible. With very little support, these roofs are easy to lay in place.
- The tedious installation process happens to be one of the significant difficulties in getting metal roofs for a commercial space. If space is ample, then you have to plan well in advance to avoid delays.
- With the long installation time also comes the higher installation cost. Material cost and installation cost altogether make metal roofs quite expensive, especially with large areas to cover.
- Corrosion is one major threat that hampers the integrity of metal roofing. Irrespective of the coating on the surface accumulation of moisture and exposure to salty winds cause corrosion on the surface. This can make the sheets weak and also lead to rusting in some cases. These sheets, therefore, need regular cleaning and take daily maintenance routines for their long life.
- The life of the installation depends also on the fasteners used. If there are weak quality bolts and nuts that the installer uses, then even the best metal roofs might not be as durable.
Commercial Asphalt Roofing
Asphalt roofing is used for offering durability on minimal slope roofing systems. They might not have a very long lifespan; however, they are very durable. One other reason why this roofing is used is that it can easily prevent leaks. Asphalt roofing can be of two types- modified bitumen systems (MBS) or built-up roofing (BUR). With MBS, strength comes from the modified polymer. In BUR, there is waterproofing, insulation, and other surfacing treatments available. Some commercial roofing providers lay asphalt roofing in combination with other roofing materials as well.
- Ease of tackling damages is one main advantage of asphalt roofs. You would not have to worry about handling a hefty repair cost or pay for the replacement of the sheets when there are cracks. When cracks develop, filling them can often solve the problem without calling for a replacement.
- Full customization of size and designs is possible with asphalt roofing. This makes it a go-to option for any type of commercial building.
- Most of the asphalt roofing sheets come with a reliable, weatherproof coating on them. They can, therefore, withstand damage from UV rays and also protect the building from rain.
- Fire resistance is one of the standard features that asphalt roofing systems bring. This makes them safe and efficient choices to use in a commercial space. These can prevent fire-related hazards in spots where there is expensive machinery.
- In terms of maintenance, asphalt sheets are favorable for large areas. Even when they cover a large building, the minimal efforts of maintenance make them cost-effective options. As a business owner, you do not have to worry about recurring maintenance costs for roofing.
- Given the ease of customization, most of the asphalt sheets come with a consistent finish. It is easy to get color customization and also an elegant finish. These can, therefore, accent the looks of a commercial building effortlessly. With their inherent durability, these good looks stay for a long time.
- Asphalt roofing can be durable. Therefore, it is suitable for use in places where there are installations on the roof or even where they have to withstand foot traffic.
- Asphalt comes with multiple layers. When some problem occurs in the roof, if there are leaks, the concern could be with a single layer. Identifying the source of trouble can be difficult in this situation. These are times when you might have to go for a replacement of the sheet causing trouble.
- With all the layers constituting the sheets, these can be heavy. If you are worried about the structural integrity of the building, then asphalt might not be the best option. It can add stress to the supporting pillars or walls with its bulky configuration.
- Extreme temperatures can make the asphalt sheets brittle. The sheets are prone to damage during these days.
- These sheets are best suited for flat slopes. In buildings with sloped roofs, asphalt might not be an option to use.
Commercial roofing factors to remember
As a new business owner here are some commercial roofing tips that you should carefully consider-
- Invest in professional inspection to tackle repairs on time. This can save huge expenses and tedious repairs.
- Cleaning and maintenance are more important than you think, and these are essential regularly. The frequency depends on the roofing system you use.
- Make sure that no water or debris is accumulating on the sheets. Even in you have durable sheets on the building, it is best to avoid putting their strength to test. Proper maintenance helps your commercial roofing system to last decades easily.
A final word
Whatever be the budget you have set aside, there are sensible and robust roofing options to meet your needs. Getting green roofing solutions is also more accessible than you can imagine. These are going to save your costs in the long run. Using green roofing systems would also paint a good picture of your business’ steps towards sustainability. It is not a single-size-fits-all model when it comes to picking roofing types. Talk with a professional roofing company and clearly explain your needs. Depending on the type of building you wish to handle and the kind of installations that would be present on the roof, you can then find a suitable roofing system. Remember that roofing systems are long term investments. When you choose the right kind, you would not have to worry about expenses in this department for a long time. Quality installation, along with meticulous maintenance, can keep your roof shining bright as new.